Proposals that incorporate features that enhance or facilitate natural habitat and species adaptation, migration and connectivity will be supported.
- Proposals should consider the inclusion of features that support or increase natural habitats and species ability to adapt to changing conditions, undergo seasonal migrations and remain connected throughout the habitat.
- Features that could be used include incorporating natural habitat in flood defences, and adding habitat features of habitat to hard infrastructure, such as fish shelters
- Proposals should consider available evidence about natural habitats and species and where there are gaps in the evidence they may need to provide specific evidence.
- Enhancement is not a substitute for protection, avoidance, minimisation or mitigation measures (see S-BIO-1) and when proposing such features there should also be consideration of the wider impacts on the environment. Natural England and JNCC can offer further advice on habitats and species
- Proposals within Marine Conservation Zones or European Marine Sites should include an assessment of the potential effect upon the interest features of the protected sites.