Proposals must identify where use of dredge disposal sites can be minimised by pursuing re-use opportunities through matching of spoil to suitable sites.
- Proposals must include evidence of the consideration of the Waste Framework Directive specifically details of sites where dredged materials can be reused, and where possible favour sites for reuse over disposal sites.
- The MMO report 'Use of beneficial dredge materials in the South inshore and offshore marine plan areas (MMO 1073)' provides examples of how dredged material can be reused.
- Proposals for dredging must take account of the South Marine Plan Habitat Regulations Assessment, details including mitigation measures are available in table 21.
- Proposal must show that S-BIO-3 has been considered alongside this policy, reusing dredge material to rehabilitate coastal habitats.
- The reuse of dredged material is not always straightforward or possible and further co-ordination from all involved is often needed. The 'Use of beneficial dredge materials in the South inshore and offshore marine plan areas (MMO 1073)' report includes some examples of best practice which should be considered.