Proposals should demonstrate, in order of preference:
- that they will not have an adverse impact upon spawning and nursery areas and any associated habitat
- how, if there are adverse impacts upon the spawning and nursery areas and any associated habitat, they will minimise them
- how, if the adverse impacts cannot be minimised they will be mitigated
- the case for proceeding with their proposals if it is not possible to minimise or mitigate the adverse impacts
- In identifying possible effects upon spawning and nursery areas, proponents may wish to consider consulting with the appropriate decision makers, and also organisations including:
- Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authorities
- Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science
- National Federation of Fishermen's Organisations
- New Under Ten Fishermen's Association
- North Sea Advisory Council (formerly North Sea Regional Advisory Committee)
- In addition to the information on spawning and nursery grounds within the map below it may be beneficial to consider spawning and nursery areas for all finfish and shellfish within a project level assessment.
- Proponents may wish to consider any potential impacts on these grounds as well as on the ability of species to access these grounds.
- Information on the location of areas closed to fishing due to a high abundance of juvenile fish. See both seasonal or real-time closures.
- Spawning and nursery grounds are often active during certain times of the year. Avoiding these times of the year can be important when considering how to minimise or mitigate a project's impact within a proposal.
Reproduced with permission of the Marine Management Organisation, Ordnance Survey, CEFAS and UKHO.
This plan policy references the following data sources:
- East marine plan areas (MMO)
- High intensity fish nursery grounds (Centre for Envionment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science)
- High intensity fish spawning grounds (Centre for Envionment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science)
Please contact the owner for the most up-to-date data for your decision-making activities.